Empathy is understanding another’s emotion in relation to that of your own. Empathy assists resilience through developing strong supportive relationships. Understanding other people’s feelings/emotions/experiences is particularly helpful when people are experiencing tough times.
This will help young people understand:
- empathy requires an understanding that their emotions can differ to someone else’s
- empathy is a skill that can be practiced
- empathy is different to sympathy.
Download the lesson/session outline.
Activities have been designed to be standalone or run in a sequence for a 50 minute lesson/session. Templates are linked below for completing the activities.
- Buzz activity: Four things! (10 minutes)
- Brainstorm emotions using the List of emotions (10 minutes)
- Other people’s emotions worksheet (25 minutes)
- Exploring ReachOut.com (5 minutes)