Choosing to eat nutritious foods can benefit students’ physical health and wellbeing, especially during stressful periods of study or exams. By helping them to become aware of nutritious brain foods, we can support them to make responsible food choices.
Students will understand the benefits that nutritious foods have on their brain during times of stress.
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
- identify snack and meal options that will nourish their brain
- explain the benefits of a balanced and nutritious diet on the brain and our ability to study
- create a snack or meal that will support their brain to work well.
Instructions 5 min
- Hand a Post-It note (or equivalent) to each student.
- Ask students to write on their Post-It note the name of a snack or a food that they commonly consume before or during study periods.
- On a whiteboard and/or poster, write the headings: Brain Boosting and Brain Draining.
- Have students categorise their Post-It notes by placing them in either category on the whiteboard.
- Share the article ‘Foods that help our brain study’ with students to read.
- Lead a whole-class discussion on whether the students’ food items are in the correct categories, and why.
Create an account to view the resource
Create an account to access all of our resources and recieve our newsletter with health tools & tips, and upcoming teaching resources.Create account
Already have an account? Log in here.