Students need to be taught that failure can be a precursor to success and is a necessary component of learning. This lesson encourages students to use their understanding of themselves, how they learn and the impact others an have on their mindset to reflect on their learning process.
- Students reflect on the learning process by undertaking challenging tasks.
By the end of the lesson, students will understand that:
- practising a growth mindset will assist in learning
- working in a group can assist the development of a growth mindset.
Group work: Facing challenges together 50 min
Divide the class into groups of four. Ask students to allocate each of the following roles within their group:
- Performer: works on the task for a four-minute time frame.
- Observer/recorder: records what the performer is doing/saying while completing the task.
- Timekeeper: keeps to the four-minute time frame for each task, offering a one-minute warning when the time is nearly up.
- Coach: gives the performer feedback and coaching throughout the task.
- Set a task for the class to complete – for example, throwing beanbags into a hoop from a challenging distance, completing a puzzle, shooting into a netball goal.
- Ask the groups to complete the task by rotating roles. The coach must use different language each time they work with the performer.
- Growth mindset: You just need to aim to the left. That’s it, you’ll get the next one.
- Positive: You’re so good at that. Excellent work.
- Negative: That’s hopeless. How could you miss?
- Apathetic (lazy): Nice. Good try.
- Once each student has had a turn, ask them to reflect on how the different language used by the coach made them feel. Questions:
- How did you feel during the task?
- What did you say to yourself as you did the puzzle?
- What mistakes did you make?
- What impact did the coach have on your performance?
Create an account to view the resource
Create an account to access all of our resources and recieve our newsletter with health tools & tips, and upcoming teaching resources.Create account
Already have an account? Log in here.