The Youth Friendly General Practice video resource aims to encourage, engage, educate and support young people to access GPs.
Many of the major risks to the health of young people are psychosocial in nature, yet the reasons for consulting GPs are often for skin and respiratory problems. Research shows that young people trust GPs and are willing to discuss psychosocial health concerns, but may be reluctant to raise more sensitive issues themselves. GPs in turn may be uncertain about raising more sensitive issues with their young patients.
In the video resource, we see a narrator, Amy, who asks questions about accessing a General Practice and follows a young person who consults a GP to find out about how General Practice works.
- That young people can ask a GP any questions relating to health and wellbeing.
- That young people can choose their own GP and find a youth friendly one.
- Using the Medicare card and cost of GP services.
- That young people are entitled to confidential health care, with certain exceptions.
- That young people can make choices about their health care.
NSW Kids and Families is an organisation that works collaboratively with health services and other agencies to improve the health, safety and wellbeing of children, young people and families in our community.