Students learn to rephrase negative statements into positive thoughts to encourage a growth mindset.
To highlight to students that the language we use can encourage a growth mindset.
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
- utilise positive language to encourage a growth mindset
- recognise the importance of language in developing a growth mindset.
Instructions 5 min
- Explain to students the power of language in encouraging a growth mindset and achieving goals.
The teacher makes two columns on the whiteboard:
Column 1: ‘Things I may say to myself…’
Column 2: ‘Things I will say to myself…’
The following are some suggestions for statements that you can write in column 1:
- ‘I can’t do it.’
- ‘This is too hard.’
- ‘I’m just going to fail. Why bother?’
- ‘I’m not smart/fast/strong enough.’
- ‘I give up.’
- ‘That’s good enough.’
- Ask students to offer alternative statements that are more encouraging and facilitate motivation to learn skills and achieve goals.
Students feed back their suggestions to the class.
Create an account to view the resource
Create an account to access all of our resources and recieve our newsletter with health tools & tips, and upcoming teaching resources.Create account
Already have an account? Log in here.