Sleep is important for everyone. But as students speed through a time of rapid physical, mental and emotional growth, getting quality sleep is crucial to their overall health and wellbeing.
In this lesson, students learn about the importance of sleep and its benefits, reflect on their own sleep habits, and identify strategies they might use to improve their sleep.
Students will understand the importance of sleep and its benefits, and identify practical strategies for improving their sleep.
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
- understand the importance of sleep and its benefits
- identify factors that can impact their sleep
- reflect on their own personal sleep habits
- identify strategies they can use to improve their sleep.
Class discussion: Why does sleep matter?
To feel more confident when teaching this lesson, we recommend accessing the ReachOut Schools article Helping students to get better sleep.
- Students access and spend time reading the ReachOut article How much sleep do I need?
- In pairs or small groups, ask students to discuss and answer the following questions:
Invite students to share their insights with the class to prompt discussion.
- Why is sleep important for young people?
- How would you define ‘good-quality sleep’?
- How would someone know that they have slept well?
- How would someone know that they haven’t slept well?
- What are some common factors that can impact sleep?
Create an account to view the resource
Create an account to access all of our resources and recieve our newsletter with health tools & tips, and upcoming teaching resources.
Already have an account? Log in here.