Personal boundaries are the rules, limits, guidelines and acceptable behaviour a person creates to protect their mental health and wellbeing. There are many environments, particularly social media, where it can feel difficult to protect these boundaries. This lesson uses a values walk activity for students to consider their boundaries and why these are important to maintain on social media.
Students will understand boundary setting in the context of social media.
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
- identify their personal boundaries on social media
- understand the importance of setting boundaries on social media.
Instructions 5 min
- Hang the five opinion signs (strongly agree, agree, neutral, disagree and strongly disagree) around the room.
- One by one, read aloud to the students the following statements. As they hear the statements, students move around the room to the sign that represents their opinion (if this is unavailable, give students the above options and ask them to indicate as you read the following statements):
- Family and relatives should be allowed to see my social media posts.
- Social media influences represent the real world.
- The more followers you have, the more popular you are.
- People should be able to say whatever they want on online platforms.
- I can unfriend/block/unfollow people who post rude or inappropriate content.
- Social media posts should always be publicly available.
- Users who post inappropriate content should be banned from social media platforms.
- It’s inappropriate to accept or follow strangers on social media.
- As a class, debrief why students feel this way about the statements.
Create an account to view the resource
Create an account to access all of our resources and recieve our newsletter with health tools & tips, and upcoming teaching resources.Create account
Already have an account? Log in here.