Increasingly, social media has been used to create positive social change. From hashtags to sharing positive posts and fundraising efforts, these movements build momentum through social media. Researching current trends and creating a strategy to promote a cause they believe in encourages students to be active citizens and to recognise the potential of using social media for positive outcomes.
Students understand how to use social media to create positive social change.
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
- understand the impact of social media trends
- create a social change campaign.
Research and applications: Positive social media 30 min
- Ask students to choose a positive social media story or trend – for example, the Instagram page ‘goodnews_movement’ or hashtag ‘#buyfromthebush’, or using social media to connect with family members or to communicate with friends overseas.
- Students create a poster or presentation explaining the campaign and why it was positive. Questions to answer include:
- What is the story or trend?
- What platform was it shared on and how did it grow momentum?
- What was the reason for the trend or story?
- Why did this come about?
- What was the positive impact?
Create an account to view the resource
Create an account to access all of our resources and recieve our newsletter with health tools & tips, and upcoming teaching resources.Create account
Already have an account? Log in here.